Thursday, March 29, 2007

Strive

Greek Word Pronunciation: ah-go-NID-zo-mai
Strong’s Number: 75
Goodrich/Kohlenberger Number: 76
Key Verse: “I have fought the good fight …” -- 2 Timothy 4:7

Our English word “agonize” comes directly from this Greek verb, agonizomai. The root of the word is the noun agon, meaning “struggle,” “contest,” or “opposition.” That is how it is usually translated in Philippians 1:30, Colossians 2:1, 1 Thessalonians 2:2, Hebrews 12:1, and 1 Timothy 6:12 and 2 Timothy 4:7. Literally, the noun means “a gathering.” But since the main gatherings in the Greek-Roman world were for athletic contests, the word came to be applied to the contests themselves. The present day football game is a fair example of the terrific struggle for supremacy in the Greek athletic games. Thus, the verb means “to contend for a prize” or “to compete in an athletic contest,” can accurately be translated as “intense struggling or wrestling.”

Agonizomai appears only seven times in the New Testament. In 1 Corinthians 9:25, it is used in competing in public games. In John 18:36, it is to fight or engage in conflict. More often, it is used metaphorically to “contend with perseverance.” The Lord Jesus Christ issued a command in Luke 13:24 to strive to enter by the narrow door. According to Ralph Earle, “the struggle for the kingdom of heaven allows no indolence, indecision or relaxation; the door is so narrow, we cannot take our worldliness with us, thus the struggle.” In 1 Timothy 6:12, Paul issues a command to Timothy to fight the good fight of faith. In Colossians 4:12, Epaphras was always laboring in his prayers. In Colossians 1:29, Paul is constantly striving according to God’s power for others’ salvation. Paul throws in everything and sacrifices himself for the salvation of the people of God.

And finally, in 2 TIMOTHY 4:7, Paul says that he has fought the good fight. In this instance, the verb is in the perfect tense, indicating an action completed in past time with present results. Paul fought his fight with sin to a finish and was resting in a complete victory. What a happy ending to a strenuous, active, heroic life. Wuest said that "if we Christians would live our Christian lives and serve the Lord Jesus with the intensity of purpose and effort that is put forth in a football contest, what God-glorifying lives we would live."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?

I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Look into my blog post ...

Anonymous said...

We stumbled over here different web page and thought I might as well check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to looking at your web
page yet again.

Here is my page ::

Anonymous said...

I usually do not write a leave a response, but after
looking at a bunch of comments on this page "Strive".

I do have some questions for you if you don't mind. Is it only me or do some of the remarks come across as if they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on additional online sites, I would like to follow everything new you have to post. Would you post a list of all of all your social networking sites like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Here is my webpage Air Max Pas Cher